- senseless talk or writing; nonsense.
- (vulgar) adulterated wine -->
- The Nuttall Encyclopedia
BALDERDASH. Adulterated wine.
- The Devil's Dictionary (Ambrose Bierce)
Bal"der*dash (&?;), n. [Of uncertain origin:
cf. Dan. balder noise, clatter, and E. dash; hence, perhaps,
unmeaning noise, then hodgepodge, mixture; or W. baldorduss a
prattling, baldordd, baldorddi, to prattle.]
1. A worthless mixture, especially of
Indeed beer, by a mixture of wine, hath lost both name and
nature, and is called balderdash.
Taylor (Drink and Welcome).
2. Senseless jargon; ribaldry; nonsense;
Bal"der*dash (&?;), v. t. To mix or
adulterate, as liquors.
The wine merchants of Nice brew and balderdash, and
mix it with pigeon's dung and quicklime.
- Webster's Unabridged Dictionary (1913)
You arrived here by searching for Balderdsh
The correct spelling of this word ought to be: Balderdash
Thank you for trying out the GreenGonzo encyclopedia. This is an experimental directory and we cannot explicitly
vouch for its accuracy.