- Mental acceptance of a claim as truth.
- (countable) Something believed.
The ancient people have a belief in many deities.
- (uncountable) The quality or state of believing.
My belief that it will rain tomorrow is strong.
- (uncountable) Religious faith.
She often said it was her belief that carried her through the hard times.
- (plural) One's religious or moral convictions.
I can't do that. It's against my beliefs.
- (process) Wishing a case or circumstance to be true (be + 'lief' --> be + wished).
I recommend a switch from belief to simple being; you need a rest.
- The Nuttall Encyclopedia
Be*lief" (&?;), n. [OE. bileafe,
bileve; cf. AS. geleáfa. See Believe.]
1. Assent to a proposition or affirmation, or the
acceptance of a fact, opinion, or assertion as real or true, without
immediate personal knowledge; reliance upon word or testimony; partial or
full assurance without positive knowledge or absolute certainty;
persuasion; conviction; confidence; as, belief of a witness; the
belief of our senses.
Belief admits of all degrees, from the slightest
suspicion to the fullest assurance.
2. (Theol.) A persuasion of the truths of
No man can attain [to] belief by the bare
contemplation of heaven and earth.
3. The thing believed; the object of
Superstitious prophecies are not only the belief of
fools, but the talk sometimes of wise men.
4. A tenet, or the body of tenets, held by the
advocates of any class of views; doctrine; creed.
In the heat of persecution to which Christian belief
was subject upon its first promulgation.
Ultimate belief, a first principle incapable of
proof; an intuitive truth; an intuition. Sir W. Hamilton.
Syn. -- Credence; trust; reliance; assurance; opinion.
- Webster's Unabridged Dictionary (1913)
Belief, a word of various application, but properly definable as
that which lies at the heart of a man or a nation's convictions, or is
the heart and soul of all their thoughts and actions, "the thing a man
does practically lay to heart, and know for certain concerning his vital
relations to this mysterious universe, and his duty and destiny there."
You arrived here by searching for Beief
The correct spelling of this word ought to be: Belief
Thank you for trying out the GreenGonzo encyclopedia. This is an experimental directory and we cannot explicitly
vouch for its accuracy.