Blow"er (&?;), n. 1. One
who, or that which, blows.
2. (Mech.) A device for producing a current
of air; as: (a) A metal plate temporarily placed before the
upper part of a grate or open fire. (b) A machine for
producing an artificial blast or current of air by pressure, as for
increasing the draft of a furnace, ventilating a building or shaft,
cleansing gram, etc.
3. A blowing out or excessive discharge of gas from
a hole or fissure in a mine.
4. The whale; -- so called by seamen, from the
circumstance of its spouting up a column of water.
5. (Zoöl.) A small fish of the Atlantic
coast (Tetrodon turgidus); the puffer.
6. A braggart, or loud talker. [Slang]