- (countable) A small rich chocolate cake; usually brown in color, and square.
- (uncountable) The mixture used to create brownies.
- (folklore) A type of elf.
- (in Britain and Canada) A junior Girl Guide; (in the US) A junior Girl Scout.
- The Nuttall Encyclopedia
Brown"ie (&?;), n. [So called from its
supposed tawny or swarthy color.] An imaginary good-
natured spirit, who was supposed often to perform important services around
the house by night, such as thrashing, churning, sweeping.
- Webster's Unabridged Dictionary (1913)
Brownie, a good-natured household elf, believed in Scotland to
render obliging services to good housewives, and his presence an evidence
that the internal economies were approved of, as he favoured good
husbandry, and was partial to houses where it was observed.
You arrived here by searching for Bronie
The correct spelling of this word ought to be: Brownie
Thank you for trying out the GreenGonzo encyclopedia. This is an experimental directory and we cannot explicitly
vouch for its accuracy.