- a chant, hymn or song, especially a nonmetrical one, with words from a biblical text
- The Nuttall Encyclopedia
CANTICLE. A parish clerk.
- The Devil's Dictionary (Ambrose Bierce)
Can"ti*cle (?), n.; pl.
Canticles (#). [L. canticulum a little
song, dim. of canticum song, fr. cantus a singing,
fr. coner to sing. See Chant.] 1.
A song; esp. a little song or hymn. [Obs.]
2. pl. The Song of Songs or Song
of Solomon, one of the books of the Old Testament.
3. A canto or division of a poem
4. A psalm, hymn, or passage from the
Bible, arranged for chanting in church service.
- Webster's Unabridged Dictionary (1913)
You arrived here by searching for Canicle
The correct spelling of this word ought to be: Canticle
Thank you for trying out the GreenGonzo encyclopedia. This is an experimental directory and we cannot explicitly
vouch for its accuracy.