- of, or relating to carnivores, or the taxonomic order Carnivora
- predatory or flesh-eating
- (botany) insectivorous - capable of trapping insects and absorbing nutrient from them
- The Nuttall Encyclopedia
CARNIVOROUS, adj. Addicted to the cruelty of devouring the timorous
vegetarian, his heirs and assigns.
- 1811 Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue
Car*niv"o*rous (?), a. [L.
carnivorus; caro, carnis, flesh +
varare to devour.] Eating or feeding on flesh. The
term is applied: (a) to animals which naturally
seek flesh for food, as the tiger, dog, etc.; (b)
to plants which are supposed to absorb animal food;
(c) to substances which destroy animal tissue, as
- Webster's Unabridged Dictionary (1913)
You arrived here by searching for Carnivoraus
The correct spelling of this word ought to be: Carnivorous
Thank you for trying out the GreenGonzo encyclopedia. This is an experimental directory and we cannot explicitly
vouch for its accuracy.