There's simply no easier way to freecycle than with GreenGonzo.
As an experiment GreenGonzo are testing out their new dictionary facility. If you want to
use our freecycling services please visit our main website. If you want to search our
dictionary please use the box below.
- Any enormous and disastrous event of great significance.
- A disaster beyond expectations (insurance industry)
- In ancient Greek tragedies, the solution of the plot.
- A social change of an outstanding radical and rapid character, with highly magical explanations by victims and others (sociology)
- The Nuttall Encyclopedia
Ca*tas"tro*phe (?), n. [L.
catastropha, Gr. &?;, fr. &?; to turn up and down, to
overturn; kata` down + &?; to turn.]
1. An event producing a subversion of the
order or system of things; a final event, usually of a calamitous
or disastrous nature; hence, sudden calamity; great
The strange catastrophe of affairs now at
The most horrible and portentous
catastrophe that nature ever yet saw.
2. The final event in a romance or a
dramatic piece; a denouement, as a death in a tragedy, or a
marriage in a comedy.
3. (Geol.) A violent and widely
extended change in the surface of the earth, as, an elevation or
subsidence of some part of it, effected by internal causes.
- Webster's Unabridged Dictionary (1913)
You arrived here by searching for Catastrphe
The correct spelling of this word ought to be: Catastrophe
Thank you for trying out the GreenGonzo encyclopedia. This is an experimental directory and we cannot explicitly
vouch for its accuracy.