- a mythical beast having a horse's body with a human head and torso in place of the head and neck of the horse.
- An icy planetoid that orbits the Sun between Jupiter and Neptune
- A creature of Greek mythology with the upper torso of a man attached to the body of a horse.
- The Nuttall Encyclopedia
CENTAUR, n. One of a race of persons who lived before the division of
labor had been carried to such a pitch of differentiation, and who
followed the primitive economic maxim, "Every man his own horse." The
best of the lot was Chiron, who to the wisdom and virtues of the horse
added the fleetness of man. The scripture story of the head of John
the Baptist on a charger shows that pagan myths have somewhat
sophisticated sacred history.
- 1811 Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue
Cen"taur (s&ebreve;n"t&add;r), n.
[L. centaurus, Gr. Ke`ntayros.]
1. (Class. Myth.) A fabulous
being, represented as half man and half horse.
2. (Astron.) A constellation in
the southern heavens between Hydra and the Southern
- Webster's Unabridged Dictionary (1913)
You arrived here by searching for Cenaur
The correct spelling of this word ought to be: Centaur
Thank you for trying out the GreenGonzo encyclopedia. This is an experimental directory and we cannot explicitly
vouch for its accuracy.