Char"i*ta*ble (?), a.[F. See
1. Full of love and good will;
Be thy intents wicked or charitable, . . .
. . . I will speak to thee.
2. Liberal in judging of others; disposed
to look on the best side, and to avoid harsh judgment.
3. Liberal in benefactions to the poor;
giving freely; generous; beneficent.
What charitable men afford to beggars.
4. Of or pertaining to charity; springing
from, or intended for, charity; relating to almsgiving;
eleemosynary; as, a charitable institution.
5. Dictated by kindness; favorable;
By a charitable construction it may be a
Syn. -- Kind; beneficent; benevolent; generous;
lenient; forgiving; helpful; liberal; favorable; indulgent.