- (uncountable) A food made from ground roasted cocoa beans.
- (countable) A small piece of confectionery made from chocolate.
He bought her some chocolates as a gift.
- (uncountable) A dark reddish-brown colour/color, like that of chocolate.
As he cooked it the whole thing turned a rich deep chocolate.
- Made of or containing chocolate.
- (colour) Having a dark reddish-brown colour/color.
- chocolate (food made from cocoa beans; confectionery)
- (slang) hash
- The Nuttall Encyclopedia
CHOCOLATE. To give chocolate without sugar; to reprove.
- The Devil's Dictionary (Ambrose Bierce)
Choc"o*late (?), n. [Sp., fr. the
Mexican name of the cacao. Cf. Cacao, Cocoa.]
1. A paste or cake composed of the roasted
seeds of the Theobroma Cacao ground and mixed with other
ingredients, usually sugar, and cinnamon or vanilla.
2. The beverage made by dissolving a
portion of the paste or cake in boiling water or milk.
Chocolate house, a house in which
customers may be served with chocolate. -- Chocolate
nut. See Cacao.
- Webster's Unabridged Dictionary (1913)
Chocolate, a paste made by grinding the kernels of cocoa-nuts.
You arrived here by searching for Chocolte
The correct spelling of this word ought to be: Chocolate
Thank you for trying out the GreenGonzo encyclopedia. This is an experimental directory and we cannot explicitly
vouch for its accuracy.