There's simply no easier way to freecycle than with GreenGonzo.
As an experiment GreenGonzo are testing out their new dictionary facility. If you want to
use our freecycling services please visit our main website. If you want to search our
dictionary please use the box below.
- (geometry) A surface created by projecting a closed two-dimensional curve along an axis perpendicular to the plane of the curve.
When the two-dimensional curve is a circle, the cylinder is called a circular cylinder. In non-mathematical usage, circular is usually implied.
- (geometry) A solid figure bounded by a cylinder and two parallel planes intersecting the cylinder.
- Any object in the form of a circular cylinder.
- A cylindrical cavity or chamber in a mechanism, such as the counterpart to a piston found in a piston-driven engine.
- A container in the form of a cylinder with rounded ends for storing pressurized gas.
- An early form of phonograph recording, made on a wax cylinder.
- The Nuttall Encyclopedia
Cyl"in*der (s?l"?n-d?r), n. [F.
cylindre, OF. cilindre, L. cylindrus, fr.
Gr. ky`lindros, fr. kyli`ndein,
kyli`ein, to roll. Cf. Calender the
1. (Geom.) (a) A
solid body which may be generated by the rotation of a
parallelogram round one its sides; or a body of rollerlike form,
of which the longitudinal section is oblong, and the cross
section is circular. (b) The space
inclosed by any cylindrical surface. The space may be limited or
unlimited in length.
2. Any hollow body of cylindrical
form, as: (a) The chamber of a steam
engine in which the piston is moved by the force of steam.
(b) The barrel of an air or other
pump. (c) (Print.) The
revolving platen or bed which produces the impression or carries
the type in a cylinder press. (d) The
bore of a gun; the turning chambered breech of a
3. The revolving square prism carrying
the cards in a Jacquard loom.
Cylinder axis. (Anat.) See
Axis cylinder, under Axis. -- Cylinder
engine (Paper Making), a machine in which a
cylinder takes up the pulp and delivers it in a continuous sheet
to the dryers. -- Cylinder escapement.
See Escapement. -- Cylinder
glass. See Glass. -- Cylinder
mill. See Roller mill. --
Cylinder press. See Press.
- Webster's Unabridged Dictionary (1913)
You arrived here by searching for Cyliner
The correct spelling of this word ought to be: Cylinder
Thank you for trying out the GreenGonzo encyclopedia. This is an experimental directory and we cannot explicitly
vouch for its accuracy.