n. [LL., a carrier, transporter, L., a lessee.]
1. One who, or that which, conducts; a
leader; a commander; a guide; a manager; a director.
Zeal, the blind conductor of the will.
2. One in charge of a public conveyance,
as of a railroad train or a street car. [U. S.]
3. (Mus.) The leader or director
of an orchestra or chorus.
4. (Physics) A substance or body
capable of being a medium for the transmission of certain forces,
esp. heat or electricity; specifically, a lightning
5. (Surg.) A grooved sound or
staff used for directing instruments, as lithontriptic forceps,
etc.; a director.
6. (Arch.) Same as
Prime conductor (Elec.), the
largest conductor of an electrical machine, serving to collect,
accumulate, or retain the electricity.