- onomatopoeia for the sound made by a bell or doorbell.
Ding dong bell, pussy's in the well!
Who put her in, little Johnny Thin.
Who pulled her out, little Tommy Stout.
:: English nursery rhyme.
- (slang): A breast.
- (rfv-sense) A fight, an argument.
- An idiot.
- A small creme filled cake covered in chocolate; a Ding Dong ®.
- The Nuttall Encyclopedia
DING DONG. Helter skelter, in a hasty disorderly manner.
- The Devil's Dictionary (Ambrose Bierce)
Ding"dong` (?), n. [See Ding.]
1. The sound of, or as of, repeated strokes on a
metallic body, as a bell; a repeated and monotonous sound.
2. (Horol.) An attachment to a clock
by which the quarter hours are struck upon bells of different
- Webster's Unabridged Dictionary (1913)
You arrived here by searching for Dingong
The correct spelling of this word ought to be: Ding dong
Thank you for trying out the GreenGonzo encyclopedia. This is an experimental directory and we cannot explicitly
vouch for its accuracy.